To put it simply, a modular building is a structure that has been manufactured and built off-site in a factory, rather than at a traditional construction site. These factories are filled with various materials necessary for construction, and once built, they are then shipped to a building site to be quickly assembled for occupancy.
Modular Building Advantages
Because of the circumstances in which these modular buildings are constructed, they hold several advantages over traditional construction, including:
- Speed to Occupancy – Because modular buildings are largely constructed off-site, the construction process avoids several potential delays that plague traditional construction, such as inclement weather.
- Cost-Effectiveness – Flexible payment plans that avoid larger traditional construction fees for a more cost-effective building process.
- Higher Quality, Controlled Construction – The modular building process itself eliminates the harm caused by certain factors that remain outside of a traditional construction site project manager’s control, such as inclement weather.
- Eco-Friendliness – Traditional construction sites produce significant waste. Using modular building practices, not only is the waste factor reduced, but the materials used in their construction are often more eco-friendly.
Which Type of Modular Building Do You Need?
Determining whether you need a permanent or temporary modular building will depend on a few different factors. You’ll want to ask yourself a few different questions:
- “What is my modular building going to be used for?” – For example, if you require a modular building for a construction site office, a temporary modular building will work just fine. For other industries, such as healthcare, a permanent modular building may be more appropriate.
- “How flexible can I be with the design?” – Permanent modular buildings offer more flexibility and customization than their temporary counterparts.
- “What is my budget?” – Typically, permanent modular buildings tend to cost more than temporary ones. Evaluate how much you’re willing to spend to ensure you’re getting the most value out of your modular building.
Modular Construction for Retail Space
Establish the look and elegance of a permanent location for your retail space. Speed up planning and time needed to open with modular construction. The ability to create the perfect environment for customers and staff with a modular building might surprise you. See our video Modular Construction for Retail Space.
Today modular construction offers building solutions for all types of uses. From Classroom Space, Faculty Offices, Broadcast Centers, Housing, Dorm Space, iLabs, Medical Labs, the list goes on.
The Modular Building Institute is a terrific resource for those who are looking to learn more about the modular industry. As the Voice of Commercial Modular Construction, it is MBI’s mission to expand the use of offsite construction through outreach and education to the construction community and customers, and recognition of high-quality modular designs and facilities. Visit modular.org to learn more.
If you have settled on a temporary modular building, we can help you furnish that space with The Solutions. We offer many furniture and accessory options to make it easier for our customers to get their office up and running.